Our Trainers Top Weight Loss Tips

With the internet at our disposal, it is so easy to get lost for hours looking for the best weight loss advice. There's almost TOO much information available to us nowadays. 

So, we wanted to combine our trainers' top tips to try to help you on your health and fitness journey. 

The trick is knowing where to start because if you don't put the right plan of action into place from the beginning, you're going to make it very difficult for yourself. 

Tip 1: Goals

Our first and most important tip is to set specific and meaningful goals.

Go into as much detail as possible with your short, medium and long term goals. Most people are too vague when they set goals and don’t give themself a specific target to hit. If you don’t know what direction you're going in or what exactly you’re trying to achieve, how are you going to make the right choices along the way?

Ask yourself what impact is it going to have on your life if you achieve these health and fitness goals? This is going to give your goals meaning and will create your WHY to get you through those challenging times on your journey when you want to throw the towel in.

Tip 2: Energy Balance

The next tip is to focus on energy balance.

When trying to achieve weight loss, energy balance is key. To achieve weight loss your body needs to be in a calorie deficit, in other words burning more energy than you’re consuming. It’s as simple as reducing your calories and moving more. If you need help finding the right balance that’s suited to your goals we’d be more than happy to assist.

Use the 80/20 rule.

One of the most important things to think about when we embark on a weight loss journey is sustainability. This is why I would like you to consider using the 80/20 rule: Eat 80% wholesome foods and for the remaining 20% eat treat foods but these treat foods still have to stay within your calorie budget for the day. Enjoying foods that aren't nutrient dense is okay every now and then and will make it easier in the long run.

Do what you enjoy.

Exercising doesn’t have to be a chore, it can be and should be enjoyable. Grab a pen and paper and jot down all exercise that you enjoy then build your weekly exercise regime only including these activities. Using the 80/20 rule and only doing exercise you enjoy is going to set you up for success in the long run and will give you the highest chance of achieving that dream goal.

Tip 3: Quality Over Quantity

The final tip is to focus on quality and not quantity.

When I sit down with a client their main focus overall is to achieve a healthier lifestyle. This means they are going to have to develop healthy habits over time.

A mistake I see people make is trying to do too much at once, instead every 2 weeks focus on something small for example increasing your water intake or daily step count. It’s the small changes over time that are going to make a significant difference. Once you’ve made enough of these small changes over time you will have created the healthier lifestyle that you desired at the beginning of your journey.

Let us know in the comments below which is your favourite tip and if you’re going to implement any of these into your daily life.

Our Trainers Top Weight Loss Tips


‘You can’t out train a bad diet.’

As well as training packages, we also have an in-house nutritionist who can offer you nutritional support, education and personalised nutrition plans.

About Us

Established in 2016, the MHR coaches have over 15 years of combined experience in the world of personal training and professional sport.

MHR Fitness is built on our coaches’ passion for improving the lives of people through functional fitness and sensible nutrition.

Our team of coaches have excellent customer testimonials, which are backed by continued proven results.


Keep up with us on social media at @MHR_Fitness.


We’re based on the south coast of the UK, but you can train with us from wherever you are around the globe with our Online Training Platform.

If you’re ready to take that first step, simply click below to enquire now.